Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Unique Game, Eh?

I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite sports. Having grown up next to Canada, which is where this sport is primary played, I was able to develop an affection for this odd past time. Ladies and gentlemen, I present...CURLING.

These people you see on this strip of ice aren't maintenance people. They're the athletes. Here's how it works.
o
First you got the dude who slides the stone down the ice towards the target. The stone is usually made of granite and has a handle on top.

After releasin the stone, the dude lays down on the ice and screams bloody murder at his teammates who are ...

...sweeping the crap out of the ice with brooms. Yes, brooms. Sweeping the ice. Makes sense, don't it?

The ultimate goal of the game is to get your stones as close to the center of the target as possible, whilst knocking the opposing team's stones out of the target. The opposing team has sweepers by the target to try to sweep the ice enough to make the dude's stone go off course.

Got it? Good. Now you're a curling expert. Go to their magazine to get more stories. It's
better than Sports Illustrated*.


*But of course, I'm biased. I think sports that use balls are stupid. I think they're just one huge Freudian mess.

0 comments: