Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just a tease...

As the four people who regularly read this blog know, I spoo over all things math. It's a side-effect of having spent four years in college doing all math, all the time. Pi is of particular import to me, what with it's being transcendental, irrational, constant...

I digress. I came across what I believed to be a math-themed hotel. Somewhere I was sure would provide me with an excess of endorphins throughout my stay, what with being surrounded by portraits of physicists (just mathematicians who deal in application, really) and mathematical equations...just look at this duvet from one of their guest rooms!
But alas, it was not meant to be. The Hotel@MIT had been bought by a chain and changed into something more vanilla...something more...tourist friendly. I cannot describe how grossly disappointed I became the further into their site I ventured. No immense mathematical library, no great sculptures of Archimedes or Erdos. It seems the most math is on the comforter, possibly in an attempt to bore Joe and Jane Tourist to sleep in the evenings. In not one of their photos did I see evidence of a platonic solid, or see a hint of a sine curve. No. I'm afraid, without even having visited, I am not inclined to even give it a chance. Is there anyone who can prove me wrong? Is there a slight possibility that this place would be able to tickle my math bone?

0 comments: